Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Twenty Years of Redemption

It's been twenty years in the making and oh what joy and fun. It's been twenty-years in the making and it's only just begun. It's been twenty years in the making, my soul still being cleaned. It's been twenty years in the making, and I'm still learning ... He is the King!

It was October of 1988 in Houston, Texas. Dede wanted to go to church, and I thought she was out of her mind. Church wasn't for me. Those people didn't like me. But I was wrong. Dede went to church without me, and I didn't like that either. When I walked through the door of Cy-Fair Christian Church, I found something I did not expect. I found warmth, acceptance, and forgiveness, when my sin and shame was staring us all right in the face.

It's been twenty years now, since Roy Davis looked me in the eye and said, "Jesus died for you." It's been twenty years, since I stepped into the watery grave of baptism, professing Christ as my Savior, trading His life for mine. The transformation has been sharp and steep at times and it is not over yet. He works on me daily, shaping me for His Kingdom, turning my heart from myself to others; turning me from my old natural ways to His ways.

I cannot thank Him enough. Where would I be without him? Where would I be, if he had not sent Dede? Where would I be without Cy-Fair Christian Church, Roy Davis, and three men named Doug? Most of all, where would I be without Christ?

Twenty years of redemption. He makes me complete.

To God be the Glory!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Uncle Brent,
This brought tears to my eyes. I view you and Aunt Dede as my genuine Godly examples to follow and knowing that God is still working in you opens my eyes to realizing that God will always be working in me too. There are times where the thoughts of never reaching perfection here on earth become overwhelming and reading your "Twenty Years of Redemption" story brings hope to me again. Thank you Uncle Brent for sharing this story. I'm so glad that you are an awesome part of our family! Kuddo's to Aunt Dede for finding you, loving you, and making you a part of our family! A very honorable man and wonderful example you've become for our family to look up to! I love you Uncle Brent.
-Kelli

J. Brent Bullock said...

Thanks for the comment Kelli - It is truly awesome to reflect on what He has done, and I am so grateful that He sent Dede my way...