Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Waiting Tables

Imagine this ...
"A mother-in-law perfectly illustrates the gospel."


I hope that gets your attention, because it is true. You can read it for yourself in Matthew 8:14-17 (www.blueletterbible.org). Peter's mother-in-law is sick in bed with a fever. Jesus touches her. The fever leaves her and she gets up to wait on Him! That's the gospel in a nut shell. We are sick. Jesus touches us. We are healed, and get up to serve Him!

My good friend (and ABG Director), Ronny Koehn, was ordained as a deacon of Southside Baptist Church (www.southsidebaptist.org) in Abilene, Texas on April 20, 2008. Southside Pastor Kevin Ueckert challenged the new deacons to wait tables, to serve the poor and the widows, to be the hands and feet of Christ at Southside. Deacons are servants. It is an office and a title, but the basic meaning is servant. Waiting tables is the perfect illustration.

I was into Petroleum Products in my High School D.E.C.A. class. Food Service and waiting tables was out of the question. I've never worked in or owned a restaurant. I have certainly paid countless times to be waited on.

Now, I know the blessing of serving others. When you've been touched by Christ; healed by Jesus, the disease of pride is decreased, if not totally removed. Waiting tables is an honor.

Now go, and clean those dishes... Serve Ronny, serve!

No comments: