Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Accountable Man

You've heard the stories of the fallen preachers; Sex scandals, fraud and theft from the church coffers. Ministers, pastors, preachers and all men are subject to frustrations, arrogance, and all manner of temptations. These temptations are more easily engaged, when we walk alone.

Several years ago, I began praying for men to help me walk with God, to hold me accountable and to challenge my theology. In a few short years the Lord Provided. He landed me in Hutto, Texas. He introduced me to men named Crow, Leatherman and others. Then he brought along my father-in-law and man named Coker. Some are more crazy than the others, but each one is highly treasured in my heart and the Lord's.

Accountability is a necessity for Christians, including pastors! This is not a recommendation; it's a command! You need to share your successes, burdens, and temptations with other Christians. You need trustworthy believers in your life to help you see God's ways and God's provisions.

I am blessed. God has provided accountable Christian men for my life. What about you? Can you do it alone?

2 comments:

Crowm said...

Your question should result in a resounding "NO!" I apologize for shouting. There is no one that can "do it alone." The trouble is...we try so many times and fall flat on our face.

God has always proved to be faithful. He always provides the relationships we need for genuine accountability.

Thanks for the post!

J. Brent Bullock said...

Mark Moore has a recent related article. He suggests that confession of sin with an Elder or Parent is better than a peer / accountability partner.

http://markmoore.org/330/2008/04/does-confession-of-sin-bring-physical.html