Thursday, July 3, 2008

No Delight in the Death of the Wicked

I wish I understood it. I wish I could fully explain the logical and how's it derived. The truth is that I can't. It perplexes me to no end, and I am driven to help turn around this backwards thinking. I'm sure you've heard the type of statements I speak of. It's the kind of statement that equates good with evil and evil with good.

Last week Eileen Flynn, religion reporter for the Austin-American Statesman, posted an article on the Bible Flap between James Dobson and Barrack Obama. Eileen's blog deals with the basis for morality, "Is the Bible a valid source of morality?" Boy, did it stir up the discussion. As usual, a good number of Humanists and Atheists commented on her blog.

The perplexing part is how confused some people are about God and the Bible. Some assert that God is evil for destroying evil. Here's a quote from one of the posters,
"Thou shall not murder/kill…..God kills/murders everyone but Noah’s family." - TXatheist

TXatheist accuses God of violating his own commandment, and fails to acknowledge the evil of mankind. Murder is killing an innocent, not just any killing. Death is the penalty for sin, and God is by no means evil for being just. God is perfectly just in destroying evil, even if that means taking a guilty life. God has power over life and death, and promises to destroy all evil and death itself in the end.

More than that, God's wrath and punishment is a means of drawing people back to Himself. God has no delight in the death of the wicked, rather He is pleased when people turn from their wicked ways and live.
" ... O son of man, say to the house of Israel: 'Thus you say, "If our transgressions and our sins lie upon us, and we pine away in them, how can we then live?" ' Say to them: 'As I live,' says the Lord God, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?'" - Ezekiel 33:10-11 (NKJV)

The logic of TXatheist and others leads me to think they would prefer that evil remain in the world. Would heaven be heaven, if evil is not purged from it? Will the earth be new, if good ole' evil remains? How is God evil for removing evil? Rather evil seeks to remove righteousness. And righteousness seeks to remove evil. I rejoice in seeing the day that sin, and everything evil is removed from this earth.

America Bless God

No comments: