Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Never Ever Lesson


Never Ever. That's the name of the class. It was his first time ever. Never before in this life had he done it. The class name was fitting alright. Now, one day later, after four hours of instruction, the "never ever" has passed, and now he is snow skiing (and falling).

Michael and I are in Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico. It's beautiful. It's been snowing in the past 24 hours and there is a ton of snow (111 inches at midway to be exact). Our condo is right next to the ski lifts and the lessons, so we didn't fall down getting there.

I've tried to teach Michael many things. He just pulled a transmission out of 64 Chevy pick-up. He knows how to play baseball. He's studying the Christian Worldview and Latin right now (among many other things), but skiing? I think I'll leave that to the pros. My friends took me to the top of Sierra Blanca, New Mexico in 1979, taught me to snowplow and said, "see ya at 4". That was about 10 in the morning. I didn't want to teach Michael my mistakes, nor use the approach of my "friends".

So, too with teaching the commands of God. That's not something I want to leave to chance. It's something my children needed to be ready for. He's seventeen now and Bryana's 22. The Jews teach that children become accountable to God, at the ages of 12 or 13. Not that children will be ready to be accountable for their sins, but that God will hold them accountable for sin. It's called culpability. At that point in the life of a teen or pre-teen, I agree with the Jews, God will hold the child accountable. They will stand on their own before God to account for their own actions...

Will they be ready? Will you prepare them? Do you know the commands yourself? It's difficult to teach what you don't know, and this is not something you should leave for a "crash" course.

Don't leave your child with "never ever" lessons on the commands of God. The never ever ski lessons deal with all basics. They teach you to walk in your ski boots, before trying to ski with them. What are you doing to prepare the children in your life for accountability to God?

"Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven" - Matthew 5:19 NIV


America Bless God

J. Brent Bullock, Minister
http://www.hismoralbanner.com/

No comments: